Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Happy birthday to John!

weird, I wrote a Happy birthday post the night before John's birthday and when I woke up in the morning, I got a bunch of e-mails from people commenting about the pee still (wow, that post really drew a crowd).   I thought "Apparently nobody wanted to wish John a happy birthday".  Then I finally decided to check the blog and I realized that there is no record of my birthday post anywhere.  Who knows what happened. I thought maybe I just forget to press PUBLISH POST and instead clicked SAVE AS DRAFT.  Unfortunately, there was no draft either.  It was late and maybe I deleted it???  So I'm re-writing it a day late, instead of a day early.



Either way, John had a happy birthday. 
 I'll spare you the list of the 33 things I love about him and maybe think of another list of 33 less personal things that I can give you (any suggestions?)
 

We celebrated on Saturday by going out to dinner and a swim in the lake while some friends watched the kids for the evening. We thought about dining and staying a night in the Burj Al Arab (see picture above) but decided to save a months worth of rent money and just hang out at the beach nearby. We tried out our new birthday snorkel gear and I love it, although there was nothing to see except sand, water and a few crabs. The snorkels have a little trap thing so that no water gets in even if you dive under.  It was great!  Maybe that's not a new thing, but it was new to me and I loved it (present from my parents purchased at Costco before I left, in case you're interested).  I may enjoy snorkeling more because of it.  He got a few other presents and the pumpkin pie is in the works (a day late, long story, lots of other mishaps yesterday).  Wish me luck, I've never made pumpkin pie and I don't even like pumpkin pie, but it's John's favorite and how else am I supposed to show my love and affection.

ok, don't answer that.

Happy Birthday John!!! 


14 comments:

  1. Is he wearing the MLB shirt?

    Looks like you guys had lots of fun on John's birthday - 45, right? Just kidding. You guys may be older than us, but you are a lot cooler and more fun. Asher and Ivy are lucky to have such a great dad (and mom).

    Happy Birthday John. By the way, did you know that there are direct flights between Dubai and Houston?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday John! We sure miss you guys! Sounds like you guys are having an amazing adventure in Dubai. Your kids are SO adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday John! Did you guys get the message I left on the cell phone? I am still not sure how that all works....anyway happy birthday to my awesome brother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday John! Sounds like you had a great birthday. Maybe you can stay at the Burj Al Arab next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes yes, happy birthday John! :) Love that you guys have so much fun doing such ordinary things. (Snorkling with just sand and water and a few crabs I mean). Glad you guys had fun! :) V

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to John, it must be fun to be somewhere new and try some new things to celebrate. I hope your pumpkin pie turned out well, pies are very hard to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, John! Pumpkin Pie- you share that love in common with your cousin Derek. I'm not a big fan either, Toria, but I have learned to bake it, too.

    Great photo- you are having quite the adventures. Just think what you will be able to tell your grandkids someday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday John! What a nice wife to make pumpkin pie when I doubt you can get evaporated milk or canned pumpkin in Dubai. Do you guys have import stores over there where you can get American stuff? I digress. Happy Birthday John!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday John! We miss you and your awesome family and hope that you are loving your job and new home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Toria and Happy Bday John. I found your blog connected to someone else's blog. How fun you are in Dubai. I have always wanted to go there! Glad you are having so much fun!
    Amanda Smoot (davies)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Jason Bourne, I mean John. I love pumpkin pie too, but only if it's sweet enough, so make sure to put extra sugar otherwise it tastes all healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday John. Dusty loves pumkin pie, but I'm with Toria, no thanks. Hope you had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your blog, Toria! I can't believe how old Asher is and Ivy is beautiful! I'm glad to hear and see things are going well. I can't believe you are living in Dubai - crazy! I hope you are liking it and adjusting OK. You HAVE to be in touch if you ever come to Oregon. We miss you guys and would love to see you. Take care! Oh, and happy birthday, John! :)

    ReplyDelete