Friday, December 21, 2007

Asher turns THREE!


What the? It sounded so normal to me until I was trying to explain to Asher that he's "three not two". It was kinda funny arguing and reasoning with him about this label he gets to put on himself. Then I said "you get to be 3 for a whole year and then you'll be 4, but you'll never been 2 again, Ivy will be two, but you....." As I'm saying this, it's making perfect sense to me and at the same time making me want to cry as I comprehend what I'm telling him. He'll never be 2 again and 2 was so much fun!. I was a little scared of the terrible two's and they weren't even terrible. Sure he had his moments of two year old OCD, but for the most part he just added extra laughter, amazement, joy and perspective to our lives.

Last year we flew from Boston to Arizona on Asher's birthday and took him to the train park in Scottsdale. He was in heaven- planes, trains and automobiles all in one day but not really any candles or cake as proof of the celebration. I felt a little bad about that and recognize that it's so easy to let Asher's birthday get lost in the shuffle of Christmas celebrations. Since he's still young, I didn't worry too much about it, but I did make a point to make sure we celebrated his day. I'm glad we did because I had a great time, he had a great time and we never did get around to celebrating again once all the family arrived.

About the party- this year we had a train party with a few friends/ cousins and his aunt Cassi flew in on the plane to join us. We played some train games, colored train pictures, decorated train cookies, opened presents (train toys and train books) ate cake (and healthy snacks beforehand) and managed to make an hour and a half feel more like 3 hours with the amount of activity we had going on. The party was a hit, the cake was deceptively delicious and Asher now believes and understands that he really is 3! Here's hoping 4 doesn't come too quickly. 2 was terribly fun and entertaining, nothing that i expected and I hear 3 is even better (unless his terrible two's are delayed?!?).

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun party, they grow up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell Asher Happy Birthday! He is getting so big and it was sure fun to see pictures. Glad to see you guys are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAppy birthday Asher! I think 3 with boys is pretty good. I found age 3 much harder than age 2 with girls!

    ReplyDelete